The below instructions have been written by Devin Prater, a fellow user of the The vOICe
I have not edited these instructions except to activate links and to fix formatting.
Okay, here’s a guide on getting the vOICe working well with YouTube
videos, through Foobar2000 and Foo_ YouTube.
* First off, download the vOICe for Windows The first time you run it, you’ll see a license agreement, agree to it.
Running it also puts an icon for it * on your desktop, called “The vOICe.”
* After this, you should hear a repeating sound scape, which is a car
in a parking lot, I believe.
Now, let’s get Foobar2000, which is a media player which can be
extended to offer the ability to play YouTube videos.
* Go to foobar2000.org, and press enter on the download link.
* Download the version under the “latest stable version.”
* Once it’s downloaded, open the installer file, and install it as you
would a normal program. During the installation steps, you may choose
to install the “full package,” with all components, which add
functionality, or choose which components you have installed.
* After installing Foobar2000, open it from the desktop or start menu.
You’ll be given a chance to set up how Foobar2000 looks, but we’re not
worried about that, so just close that dialog box.
* You’ll land on a “playlist list.” That is where Foobar2000 collects
all the things you wish to play.
* Currently, there are no keyboard shortcuts set up for playing,
pausing, rewinding, or fast forwarding media. You can set these up by
Control+P, tabbing to the tree few, and pressing K for keyboard shortcuts.
Once there, press Tab twice to “add new, shift tab to the list and
make sure you’re on the new keyboard command, called “not set,” tab to
the tree view of actions, find the one you want, tab to the edit
field, and press the key you want to assign to the command.
* Continue setting up shortcuts until you’re happy with the functionality.
You don’t have to do all this, it just makes things a bit easier when
Now, let’s get the Foo_Youtube component.
* You can download the Foo_Youtube component from
* The download links are in the table on the page.
* Once downloaded, open the component. It’ll open in Foobar2000, and
will ask if you want to install the component.
* Click yes, then press OK in the preferences dialog that is open.
Foobar2000 will say it needs to restart, press OK again.
* After Foobar2000 restarts; or if it doesn’t restart just open it
from the desktop, you’ll be back at the playlist list.
* Now, we’ll need to set Foo-YouTube to go into full screen when a
* Press Control+P for Preferences, Y for YouTube, right to expand that
section, down to Video, tab to Show Window Combo Box, and arrow to
“manually, full screen.” Tab to OK, and press enter.
* Now, you can start the vOICe if it’s not already started.
* You’ll hear “left, right,” in your left and right headphone, and
that car in a parking lot sound.
* Now, press Control+F9 to turn on the sonification of the “window”.
* If you want to explore other options, press Alt in The vOICe’s
window, and arrow right to the options menu, and down through the options there.
The relevant option we just turned on is in the “Sonify GUI” menu.
* Now that we have that going, we can start a YouTube video. To do
this, we’ll go back to the Foobar2000 window, and press Alt+F, then Y, then T.
This opens the file menu, the YouTube submenu, then chooses the Title
* There, we have an edit box, and a combo box with options. Type
something into the edit box.
* Now, shift tab to the combo box, and arrow down to the Limits submenu.
Press right arrow to the into the menu, and you’ll probably have “1.”
This limits the amount of videos to just one, which isn’t at all how
YouTube usually works.
* Press Enter on 1, type in 50, and press the OK button.
* Now, you’ll be put back into the dialog box where you enter what
you’re searching for.
* Now, after making sure you have entered what you’re looking for,
press the OK button.
You’ll be placed on a dialog box as the videos are searched.
* After they’ve been found, you’ll be placed back on the file menu in
Foobar2000 window. Press either escape or alt to get back to the playlist.
* Now, press down arrow. You’ll hear the first video’s title. Press enter.
When you hear the video begin to play, press Alt+V, then V, then Enter.
Alt+V goes to the video menu, V to the visualization menu, and Enter
Now, the vOICe will be sonifying the video. To exit the video and go
back to the results, press escape. To get back into the video, do
Alt+V, V, enter again.
* To search for something else, Press Control+A to select all results,
and delete to delete them from the playlist, and search for videos again.
* when you’re done, press Alt+F4 to exit Foobar2000, Alt+Tab to the
vOICe, and exit that with Alt+F4, then Enter.
Leave a Reply